The NGWF today demanded allocation in 6 specific heads in the National Budget for 4.2 million, including 3.5 million, garment workers, who earn 79 per cent of export earnings.
The demands were made through a Press Conference at the RT auditorium of the Dhaka Reporters Unity at Segunbagicha in Dhaka city at 11:00am today. NGWF President Amirul Haque Amin while reading his statement to the journalists also pointed out the name of the ministries under which the allocation should be made for specific head.
The 6-head and the ministries are:
- for supply of essential commodities, including food staffs, at subsidized price through full rationing system under the Food Ministry,
- for construction of ‘garment workers colony’ in garment industrial areas under Ministry of Housing & Public Works,
- for construction of ‘safe maternity centers’ in garment industrial areas under Ministry of Health.
- for setting up ‘childcare centers’ in garment industrial areas under Ministry of Women & Children Affairs,
- for establishing ‘transportation for garment workers’ under Ministry of Communications.
- for construction of ‘hospital for workers’ in industrial areas under Ministry of Health.
Amin, in his statement, pleaded to the honorable Prime Minister & Finance Minister for making allocation in National Budget of 2015-16 FY in 6-specific heads. The proposed Budget is under preparation now and it will be placed to the Jatiya Sanshad (Parliament) next month, he noted.
The NGWF President issued veil threat that the garment workers will launch a united movement if the Budget allocation is not made in 6-specific head. He also announced a set of action programs to realize the demand.
The programs are:
- Exchange of opinions with leaders of all garment workers organizations on May 8,
- Submission petition for allocation in National Budget in 6-specific heads to the Prime Minister’s Office and the ministries concerned from May 10 to May 14.
- United rally of the garment workers in front of National Press Club on May 15 for special allocation in National Budget for garment workers.
NGW leaders, including General Ms Safia Parvin, Ms Nurun Nahar, Ms Arifa Akter, Ms Nasima Akter, Md Elias, Md Kabir Hossain and basic union leaders Ms Nargis Akter and Kazi Jahangir Hossain, among others, were present at the Press Conference.
Press Secretary, NGWF